Hi, and welcome to my website!
My name is Bec McMaster and I live in a small country town in Victoria, Australia, with my boyfriend and a beautiful dog named Kobe. I grew up either with my nose in a book or writing, and never understood why other people didn’t get to watch ‘all the movies in their heads’. Following a lifelong love affair with fantasy, I discovered romance at the age of sixteen and haven’t looked back.
When I’m not writing I like to read, go hiking with my boyfriend, pore over travel brochures, and go to the gym. I’m addicted to travel and love to set my books in foreign places. It’s the next best thing to travelling there. One day I vow to see the entire world, whether it’s by plane, paper or imagination.
These days I can be found sitting at my computer with a hot mug of tea, creating the dark and dangerous world of the London Steampunk series, where vampires and werewolves stalk the eerie London rookeries and even the darkest hero can find love. I’m a member of RWA (USA and Australia) and am represented by Jessica Faust of BookEnds; LLC.
I’m so grateful to get this chance to pursue my dream, so thank you to everyone who reads my books. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed writing them!
TWENTY RANDOM FACTS ABOUT BEC
1. My favourite quote is: ‘Dreamers who only dream, never have their dreams come true.’
2. The list of things I’ve wanted to be in my life include: an archaeologist, a travel agent, palaeontologist, biologist, librarian and horse manager. Writer was always number one on the list, but I thought I’d better get a day job until then.
3. A few of my favourite movies include Last of the Mohicans, the Dark Knight Trilogy, Pitch Black, Sherlock Holmes, The Mummy, Gladiator, The Princess Bride, Wild, Wild West, Ladyhawke, Thor 1&2, Hunger Games and Cowboys & Aliens.
4. My favourite band is Florence and the Machine, though I’m partial to Gotye, System of a Down and Foo Fighters.
5. I will read anything by Ilona Andrews, Kristen Callihan, Kira Brady, Lilith Saintcrow, Stacia Kane or Meljean Brooks.
6. I never understood the Angel thing. It was always Spike.
7. I love watching documentaries with my boyfriend. Or series like Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Deadwood, The Tudors, Supernatural, Buffy, Vampire Diaries and Long Way Round/Down.
8. The badder an anti-hero, the better.
9. Changing my hairstyle or colour is a frequent occurrence.
10. I once skydived in Norway, but admit I might have been mildly concussed at the time after a morning incident involving white-water rafting, a miscreant paddle and a boulder.
11. I decided to bungee jump in New Zealand, having assumed jumping out of a plane was infinitely worse. I was wrong.
12. If I won a million dollars (or scored a major, super-duper publishing contract) I’d backpack around the world until the money was gone. My bucket list is basically a list of countries and continents.
13. I realize that this sounds like an exciting life, but the honest truth is I spend a lot of time in front of the computer, wrapped in my dressing gown, with an occasional burst of excitement.
14. I love cooking of the Nigella Lawson school of thought. Much butter and sugar.
15. And try to run four nights a week to counter this.
16. I have two step-sisters, a step-brother, a half-sister, a half-brother and a partridge in a pear tree… Kidding about the partridge.
17. I’ve climbed the Eiffel Tower, drank apple tea in Istanbul, seen Swan Lake in St. Petersburg, dog-sledded on top of the Swiss Alps, skinny-dipped in the Greek Islands, gotten lost on the Moscow Underground, thrown a euro in the Trevi Fountain, hiked part of the Grand Canyon and snowboarded in Queenstown.
18. Believe I should be officially sponsored by Twinings, after all of the tea I’ve consumed during the writing process.
19. Met my boyfriend when I was twelve and he was ten. He was the kid over the fence and I wanted nothing to do with him. This changed when I turned nineteen. He still can’t believe his luck. [EDITED TO ADD: Boyfriend believes a disclaimer should be entered here. But since I’m the author he doesn’t get a choice.]
20. Love fairytales in any form. The Disney versions or the really dark Hans Christian Anderson or Grimm Brothers stories. My favourite fairytale of all time is Beauty and the Beast.
Want to know more? Check out the FAQ page for the answer to all those burning questions about writing, the London Steampunk series and more…